Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Free sweets with a side of hypocrisy

Did you know that Cold Stone will give you a free sundae on your birthday? So will Friendly's. And Finale will bring you a free dessert. (You know, I'm just sayin'. If you know any other freebie places, birthday or not, please leave me a comment! Y'all know I love The Free Stuff.)

So Petunia and I were at Cold Stone on Monday getting my free sundae when I was stopped in my tracks by the v. friendly young woman dishing up our ice cream. "Your daughter is SO cute!" she exclaimed, then added, "Are you looking for a babysitter?" My jaw just about hit the floor. She went on to say that she goes to UMass Dartmouth but is back in town for the summer. She handed me her number and said to give her a call if we ever needed a sitter.

Seriously folks, I was dumbfounded. Right now I can't imagine wanting to go someplace where Hester couldn't come, too. Isn't that funny, though? I take care of other people's kids for a living but can't imagine leaving my child with a child care provider of any sort: relative, friend, or stranger; paid or unpaid. It's the worst sort of double standard. It's not that I don't trust other people or that I think they'd do a crappy job with Hester; it's just that I want to be with her all the time. I know that doesn't sound v. healthy, but it feels healthy. Strange, no?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY funny actually. I thought Cold Stone did something jerky when I saw your title and I was about to get all up in their face about it but PHEW, no. 'Tis you who are the hypocrite. ;)

Hey, don't all parents think at the beginning they will never leave their baby? I don't think you're a hypocrite, just a new mommy. ;)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Yeah, but some of my kids' parents had to leave them when they were only 2 months old. Hester will be 5 months on Tuesday and I can't stand to think of her with anyone but us.

The other day Petunia said we could afford a 2-family home in Spfd. and I was all, "No way, I don't want to be a landlord!" She was all, "But then Hester could live with us forever," and I was like, "A 2-family home sounds GREAT!"

I have ISSUES.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA. You guys are super crazy. That's awesome though. At least I never have to worry that my niece won't be loved enough by her moms!!!

She'll be 18 and she'll be all, "Um, I want to go to college in Oregon." and you'll be like, "OK, WE'LL BUY A TWO FAMILY HOUSE THERE SO YOU CAN LIVE WITH US FOREVER!"

9:43 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

OMG, I've been thinking about that. Oregon would be fine (cuz we could move there like you said), but what if she wants to live abroad? That would KILL me!

Now I think I need to add a dollar to her therapy savings jar.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home