Friday, September 22, 2006

Change, Dare, Worry, Scissors

Welcome to the first ever Life in Two Keys meme!

A confession: I've never done a meme because I'm not sure how to pronounce the word "meme." I know that's a little crazy, but there you have it.* For real, is it meme like "me-me" or meme like "meem"? Or is it something altogether different like "mem," all Frenchy-like? Dictionary.com says "meem," but can we really trust them? How do you pronounce "meme"?

At any rate, I got this free-association meme from J.'s site, Cheese and Whine, and I thought it would be fun to play. You just have to take the 4 words provided and write something about them. Here goes....

Change
This is the central theme in my life right now. We're fixin' to become parents, and I know our lives will change forever. That shit is scary, but it's really exciting, too.

Dare
This isn't really Dare; it's DARE. When I was in 6th grade, a police officer came to our school to tell us about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. This was just before the DARE program started, but it was close enough that I always think of this particular officer as my DARE officer. This dude was telling us about the addictive properties of cocaine, saying that if you use it just once, you can become addicted. As he talked, I thought about my dad; the poor guy had just had sinus surgery and the surgeon used cocaine to numb his face. All I could think was that because he'd "tried it once," my dad was going to become a coke addict and lose his job and beat his kids, just like the officer said. The result? I came thisclose to reporting my dad to the police. Poor Daddoo!

Worry
Ha! I'm an expert worrier, but I'm trying to curb it. My new motto when it comes to worrying: There's no use borrowing trouble.

Scissors
How much did I love Augusten Burroughs' Running with Scissors? I loved it so much. I'm a total memoir junkie. But now they've made it into a movie, which scares me a little. Will it be as poignant and funny and disturbing as the book? I hope so.

So that's it, my first meme. If you want to play the 4 Words Meme with me, here are 4 new words for you: bruise, pickle, dream, and asshat. I don't want to tag folks, because what if you can't pronounce "meme" either? That would be wicked awkward.

*Do not oppress me for my J-hood, Ms. JPP, cuz I happen to know that you're all crazy about The Words, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? I'm soooooo NOT crazy about The Words. I have no idea what you mean. Sconce.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home