Friday, September 15, 2006

Taxes, homestudy, nerves, new friends, coming out, glass pumpkins, child abuse, Ikea

[Note: Frickkin Blogger won't let me spellcheck this post. Sorry for any mistakes.]

--It's 3rd quarter tax day. I sure do hate writing such large checks 4 times a year, but I sure do like knowing that come April 15, I won't be shitting myself. Here's to staving off diarrhea!

--After getting the news about Ms. Stork, Petunia and whittled our "To Do Before Homestudy" list down to the barest essentials. Today I tackled 3 things on the list, and we're moving along nicely. Still, I'm glad that Ms. Stork will be coming at the end of my workday so I can blame any messes on the kids.

--I'm in this strange state of crazy adrenaline and utter calm--my mind's clear as a bell, but my hands are cold and my forearms are tingly. Eek!

--As I walked the kids home from the playground this morning, I ran into a neighbor and her friend. Her friend was very nice, and after we'd talked for a bit it was clear that he has cognitive differences. At one point, he said to me, "Hey, do you work out?" to which I (of course) guffawed and said no. "Hmm," he mumbled, "I wish I had your body." I love that he turned a sleazy pickup line into a total compliment. This dude made my day!

--Tonight we're going to be in Boston visiting our friend Diesel. She came out to her parents a couple of weekends ago, and she's having a tough time of it. She hasn't seen her folks since then. Holy eff, all that coming out stuff is hard! It doesn't matter how old you are, either; that shit's just tough. Please think good thoughts for Diesel and her GF, Katydid.

--MIT's Great Glass Pumpkin Patch will take place on September 30. Buying glass pumpkins is a blood sport, but after last year's dress rehearsal, Petunia and I are ready for this year's competition. You can definitely expect a post from that day, probably one featuring me "accidentally" tripping a Burberry-clad woman in the race to snag the best tiny pumpkin. Ha! My kneepads are already in the bag, suckahs!

--Our state rep primary race is getting really ugly. Yesterday we got a mailing about John Fresolo's abuse history, complete with a photocopy of the newspaper article revealing DSS-substantiated abuse against his 13-year old daughter. It didn't say who sent the mailing (for obvious reasons, I'm hoping it's not the Murgo campaign), but I'm glad that the word's getting out about his past. He's unfit for public office, and I can't believe he didn't resign when all this came to light.

--AND FINALLY: I really want to go to Ikea. Who's with me?

6 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

the closest Ikea to me is 2 hours away. so what's a few more hours? sign me up!

tripping a burberry clad...a really good laugh for me today!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also loved the tripping of the Burberry clad competitor at the pumpkin thing. Also, I didn't know it was so crazy. Now I'm scared of it, though I signed up for their mailing list.

Also, I would LOVE to go to IKEA but I'm totally not allowed until we have more money because it makes me sad when I don't get to buy anything. SIGH.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

Okay, I had never heard of this glass pumpkin event (sue me, I live in Canada!). But I clicked on the link and - damn, you know I want to go!!!! It looks awesome.

Your homestudy will be fine - you have a very warm and inviting home, and I'm pretty sure they don't do a white-glove test on the baseboards - not that there'd be a problem, clean freak! :)

And IKEA. Never on the weekend. That's my motto. I was a little disturbed to discover that we have not one but two entire IKEA decor rooms. As in, ALL the furniture in these rooms is from IKEA. (lamps, too). No wonder the Swedish look so smug - they furnish the rest of the free world!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Canada, that's pretty funny about your decor rooms. I don't mind Ikea on the weekends, though it drives Petunia a bit mad. Also, how did you know that washing the baseboards is on my "to do" list? No, really--did Petunia tell you? Not that I think Ms. Stork's going to lick them or anything, but I'll feel better knowing they're clean. This is a big meeting, after all. (And not for nothing, one of the kids *might* lick them; you never know with them.)

JPP, whenever you want to go to Ikea, just say the word. I'm always up for a trip!

And Barb and JPP, there's something about this pumpkin event that brings out the worst in me. The first time we went, Pet and I showed up midway through the event and there were only 10 or so pumpkins left, all of which were in the $200 range. Last year, we got there 15 minutes before the event started and we had to scramble and trade around for pumpkins in our price range. We watched and learned, though, and now we know the strategy (hint: it's the same one for the Filene's Basement Running of the Brides): 1. arrive VEERRRY early to get a good place in line; 2. as soon as you're allowed in, divide and conquer by swooping up as many small pumpkins as you can; 3. bring a box or basket to prevent breakage and facilitate maximum scoopage. Last year I was all polite and shit, but this year the gloves are comin' off!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

She is so right about the glass pumpkin sale. It is wicked cut throat. People who were there early and got all the great pumpkins sat on the grass with 15-25 pumpkins they snagged right away spread out before them, smiling smuggly. Ugh. I hate smugness.

3:45 PM  
Blogger J said...

The Ikea I think you're referring to is 2 hours away from us as well. We are totally up for the trip though, as we LOVE Ikea, so so so much.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home