Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Fall

Ooh, I was out raking up pine needles and maple tags at 6am and the air felt just like fall! I love fall. It's my favorite time of the year, when I'm all snuggly in sweaters and scarves but not actually cold. My favorite weather is sweater weather, and it's on its way!

On Friday I took the kids for a walk through the cemetery on our way to the river, and I am happy to report that Leaves Have Begun to Fall. Okay, it was only a couple of weeping willows and 2 diseased maple trees, but still. I'm not one of these folks who clings to the end of summer; I'm one who actively anticipates fall. I wonder if it's because I always liked school so much?

And speaking of school, I'm dying to buy some back-to-school supplies. I'm making myself wait until after Labor Day when school starts and everything goes on clearance, but it's tough. I'm a sucker for a Sharpie or a new box of crayons. When I was a kid, my mom bought us new boxes of crayons each year for school, even though we were poor and had perfectly serviceable (though broken and used) crayons from the year before. It was like this very special treat, and I loved that she recognized the power of the fresh crayon box.

But back to fall: New England is All About Fall. I'm sure that other parts of the country do fall in a big way; I went to high school in southeastern Virginia, for example, and fall was lovely there. But New England falls are spectacular, all crimson and pumpkin and gold. And we have Cider Day, Pet Rock, and The Big E, plus apple picking, cranberry harvest festivals, and all sorts of other fun things happening in the fall. It's good times up here, I promise.

And it's almost here!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also LOVE fall. That is slightly tempered in our household right now because of Rob's dread of returning to school. On that note, he may take this semester off, but in any case, whether he does or not, hopefully once he is or isn't in school this fall we can enjoy the season.

He really likes that weather too but the going back to school connotation is a negative for him. I LOVE sweater and scarf weather, it's my absolute favorite.

Hooray fall!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

Me, too! As soon as the sun starts to slant differnetly around mid-Aug, I'm ready for fall. Bring it on!! I must say, we do fall pretty well here in Canada, too. Esp in Gatineau Park. Spectacular. I also LOVE the smell of real wood-burning fireplaces on crisp fall evenings.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Ooh, yes, I forgot about wood stoves! We get some of that goodness here in the city because of a couple of old-school wood stove holdouts nearby. LOVE it.

3:28 PM  
Blogger J said...

Fall is my favorite season as well. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some summer and ocean swimming, but fall is just...crisp and romantic, and I look great in sweaters.

Also...I love the Big E so much. I hope we manage to get there. I want a (and this is going to sound so stupid coming from me, because of where I live) Maine potato from the Maine State house. They just taste better there. I want to play whack-a-mole, and ride the ginormous ferris wheel. I want to drive across the whistling bridge to get there. I want a cream puff!!!

I so have to convince S to go with me!!!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

i love fall too! and school supplies? oh no, don't let me near a staples or office max. i'll come home with 3 ring binders (just in case, i might need one) and a 12 pack of Bics.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I am SO with you!!!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home