Friday, June 23, 2006

Reality check

I was talking with my dad last night when it hit me: I'm going to be a mama. And soonish, too! This wait to reapply has been going on for so long that it's hard to imagine it's almost over. By the end of September, Petunia and I will be waiting for Hester Willa. And after that, s/he could make an appearance at any time. Holy smokes!

I'm getting really excited about all of the things to do once we're in the waiting pool. We'll have to find a pediatrician, decide about diapers, find a family lawyer, buy a crib, stroller, and other kid equipment, plan announcements, and finish Hester's room, among other things. We could take care of some of that stuff now, but I think it'll be good to have things to fill the time while we wait. We've heard that it could be a couple of years before we have a match, but we've also heard that it could be just a few months. Eek! It's all so exciting.

We also have to decide what to call ourselves, which seems simple but is proving to be more difficult than we'd imagined. All you LGBT parents and soon-to-be parents out there, how did you decide/how are you deciding? Was gender an issue for you? Petunia's leaning toward some of the names traditionally reserved for male parents, while I've laid claim to "Mama." Both of us feel strongly that we don't want to use made-up names for ourselves, and I'm not comfortable with the whole "let the baby choose your name" thing, either. It's a modern day dilemma, that's for sure.

Only 18 days till our MAPP class begins!

6 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I am loving this:

www.gdiapers.com

Exciting times!!!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Hey J., thanks for the tip--those diapers sound AWESOME! How did you learn about them?

4:01 PM  
Blogger J said...

Don't remember.

I also don't remember this blog I hit today, that I REALLY wanted to follow. I never write that stuff down. I'm such a schmuck.

4:49 PM  
Blogger M. said...

I heard about the g diapers too, from Afrindie Mum. Haven't gotten any first-hand testimonials about them, though.

We have some friends who decided to let the kid decide, and then were shocked when he started calling them by their first names. Go figure.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Dude, I'm so rigid on this one--I don't want our kid calling us by our first names. The horror! I can barely tolerate any child calling any adult by her/his first name without Ms. or Mr. or Auntie or Uncle coming first. (Petunia and I have different views on this, and I think my issues come from being raised half the time in the Southland. I go by my first name for work, but that's because it's the parents' preference. I still think it's v. rude.)

Also, the g diapers: I told Petunia about them tonight, and both of us are v. interested. Good call, J. & M.! I bet they're pricey as hell, though. We'll have to do the math and then weigh out actual cost vs. environmental cost vs. convenience. Flushing sounds like heaven, especially since I'm already intimately acquainted with traditional disposable diapers. YUCK.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how soon that's coming up! So exciting!!!

Also, the diapers. So many issues. I'm going to look at that site now.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home