Friday, June 16, 2006

Summertime

We've stepped into summer here at Chez AJWP: swimsuits, sunscreen, and water play for the kids; iced beverages and flip flops for me. My favorite part is when they're all engrossed in play and I can sit down for a minute (maybe), sip my coffee, and enjoy the canopy of maple leaves over the back yard. We might not have grass, but we've got hella shade!

Best things about summer:
--Being outside
--The kids LOVE the water table, sprinkler, kiddie pool, and sandbox
--Iced coffee and sweet tea, obviously
--Putting my feet in the kiddie pool to cool off
--Not worrying about the kids' clothes getting dirty since they're in swimsuits
--Spraying Clary B. with the water hose

Worst things about summer:
--School's out and neighborhood kids scream during my kids' naptime, which wakes them up early
--Humidity and heat
--Mosquitoes
--Applying sunscreen to squirmy kids
--Watching kids rub sunscreen directly into their eyes
--Hearing kids scream about the sunscreen in their eyes (I buy the "ouchless" kind, too--it's crap)
--All the construction in my neighborhood--again with the wakey wakey

Sometimes I forget that other people don't spend their workdays with sunscreen, tiny sandy shoes, and water tables. Do y'all have different work routines in the summer?

4 Comments:

Blogger Canada said...

Oh no, honey, my work routine is the same in the summer. But I don't get paid for it, and I can't send them home at the end of the day! :)

You forgot another summer fave - blender drinks (obviously not during the work day), and listening to summer tunes such as Bob Marley and the Gipsy Kings on the deck/patio/porch. Bring it on!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, you know, dancing on chairs in the kitchen in a mumu and pink second-hand sunglasses while drinking margaritas and blasting choice tunes such as Neil Diamond. Not that I know anybody who has done this. And not that this really counts as a "work routine".

4:45 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Jpp, YES!
Or cutting onions in a mumu wearing sunglasses to keep her from crying with hair in two pony tails!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Hey! Quit picking on me! For the record, I regret ever giving that muumuu back to Goodwill. Oh muumuu, how I miss you. --sniff--

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home