Monday, June 19, 2006

Portland Pride and the $1,000 Roses

Petunia and I took the Grey Ghost for her first road trip to Portland Pride on Saturday. It was a great celebration, and I was impressed by the size and visibility of Portland's genderqueer community. Sadly, we did not meet up with J., but we had a great time people watching as we looked for her!

On our way back to the car, we happened across Portland's beautiful rose garden. The flowers were gorgeous, but as I bent down to smell a huge bright red flower, a passerby said, "Don't do it! There's a $1,000 fine if you pick the flowers!"

Sure enough, a guard came over to supervise my rose experience. Fortunately, he said that smelling the flowers was perfectly legal, so I sniffed a few roses, made Clary B. pose by some lovely pink blooms, then hightailed it out of there. But as Petunia, Clara, and I made our way out of the garden, another passerby cautioned us, "You want to be careful in there--there's a $1,000 fine for picking the flowers!"

I guess we looked like rose-thieving tourists. Good times.

5 Comments:

Blogger Canada said...

That's probably because of people like ME!! I used to pick the flowers over the fence when I was in high school (it was a private property, but still, word gets around!)

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hysterical. I guess you really look like a couple of thieves alright! You darn tourists!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Damn Massholes! Friggin lezzies!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

It is the Canadians ruining it for all the rest of us. Those pesky Northern Neighbors!!

4:02 PM  
Blogger J said...

Actually, it's a ruse. they just tell tourists that. Locals are allowed to pick the roses at their lesure.

I'm sad we missed, but like I said...I could have thought that one out better.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home