Monday, February 27, 2006

They call me the wanderer

Wouldn't it be nice to take a trip? I've been daydreaming about some upcoming road trips and doing a little armchair traveling. Here's a list of 20 places I really want to go:

1. New York, as often as possible. Next scheduled trip: End of March.
2. London--how is it possible I've never been there? Tickets are really cheap in late winter, and you know I love the cheap.
3. Ansbach, Germany. My family was stationed there in the early 1990s, and my brother and I want to go back together sometime soon. Hello, Aquella!
4. Belgium: Country of my birth. Odd, huh?
5. Savannah again--it's so pretty there!
6. Austin again, if only for the fried pickles at Katz's Deli. Yum!
7. Anywhere warm and tropical and sunny. Tahiti, anyone?
8. Punxsutawney, PA for Groundhog Day, as mentioned earlier this month. Trip scheduled for February 2008.
9. Galveston, TX again to visit Orca. Ahoy, Orca!
10. Northampton, MA for the Spring Bulb Show at the Smith greenhouse. Scheduled trip: This weekend!
11. The Badlands. Or South and North Dakota in general.
12. Prairie land. I've never seen a prairie, you know?
13. Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah. Maybe for Utah, I could just go to Sundance! That would be too, too rad.
14. De Smet, SD. I heard a story about it on This American Life, and now I want to go. It's where Laura Ingalls Wilder once lived.
15. And speaking of beloved childhood books, I'll add PEI, Canada to my list. I want to see the Lake of Shining Waters and the Haunted Woods!
16. Back to Oahu for another visit with some family friends. This time, maybe I'd be brave enough for Shark Encounters!
17. Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I've lived in MA since 1994, and I've never been to either island.
18. The Grand Canyon. Is it as cool in real life as it looked in The Brady Bunch?
19. Santa Fe. I almost moved there after college, and I've still never been.
20. This crazy hotel in the Poconos. So very tacky, yet so very fun!

So that's my short list. Where do you want to go?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's why I heart you, AJWP...because you use the word "rad." That's all.

I've always wanted to go to Amsterdam, so I finally am. I've scheduled a trip to Amsterdam in September to celebrate my 30th birthday (which is actually in August but my family would disown me if I was out of town on my actual birthday).

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I haven't even made it past Ansbach, but can I just say - what is up with the crazy indoor/outdoor pool/water/snackbars in Germany? Also. I so totally went to one of these with Eva. And her mom cautioned us about 35 times about not leaving our stuff unattended as we would get robbed. Eva then told her that everyone gets robbed all the time in America, get over it, or something to that effect. Reverse culture shock - gotta love it.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Grand Canyon is amazing. Check out my dad's pictures from a recent trip there with my mom.

Been to the Badlands too, so pretty and weird. The prairie is so cool - prairie dogs everywhere! In every case I recommend off-season to enjoy it without the crowds. Especially the Grand Canyon and if you're going to Wyoming, Yellowstone.

Where do I want to go?

Paris
Florence
Hawaii
Japan

3:28 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I forgot about Florence! And Tuscany too.

SLC, I know you're going to have a blast in Amsterdam. That's a great place to celebrate turning 30! Will Mr. B. go with you?

JPP, your dad's photos are beautiful! He and your mom look v. happy and healthy. When did they go to Germany, though? I don't remember hearing about a trip. Also, that dog Sugar in the last photo is so cute!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They didn't both go to Germany, my dad went last year on a trip for work, that's what those pictures are. They got to do snowshoeing and stuff I think, it was crazy.

Also, Sugar is very very cute, but that's from like 13 years ago. We found her as a lost dog and kept her for like a week till her family randomly drove by and were like "Oh my God, Sugar!" but too bad they lived pretty close by and she then knew how to get to our house and they were idiots who didn't keep an eye on her. She eventually got heart worms and died from them I think. Awful. She was absolutely on of the sweetest dogs ever.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey AJWP, I'm actually going to Amsterdam with Silvana. I've been talking about spending my 30th in Amsterdam for years. We'll have a great time for sure.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

OOH, you're going to have such a good time! Stay out of the red light district, though--I don't think they could handle y'all.

Please say hi to Sil for me!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Dude, I'd have this irrational fear that someone was going to come along and drink me.

I want to go, oh, to your house?

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home