Friday, February 24, 2006

Hard to stomach

This morning I got a call from one of my families. "We think you gave the kids bad dairy yesterday," the dad says. "They've been vomiting all night. Don't drink any milk this morning."

Um, WHAT? I POISONED the kids? I began to panic.

Me, freaking out: Oh my god, that's terrible. I'm so sorry--I feel awful! I wonder what would have done it. Let me check my fridge--no, the milk's fine, and the yogurt's good, too. Actually, I ate and drank the same things as the kids, and I feel fine. I wonder if [other child] is sick, too? Why don't I call his parents and get back to you right away? Oh, this is terrible!
Dad 1: They're doing much better now. I gave the baby some breakfast 10 minutes ago, and he seems to be holding it down. I'll see how he does, then give you a call if it looks like we'll be there today.
Me, silently to self: WHAT THE FUCK??? You want to bring your child to my house when he's been THROWING UP all morning???
Me, to Dad 1: Um, I'll give you a call back right away.
____________________
Dad 2: Good morning!
Me, nervously: Good morning. I'm calling to see how the little guy is feeling.
Dad 2: He's fine. Is everything okay?
Me, pissing myself in relief: Oh, I'm so glad he's well! It sounds like the other kids caught a stomach bug, but their parents and I were concerned about food poisoning.
Dad 2, confidently: It must be a bug, since Junior ate the same things they did and he's doing great.
Me: I'm so glad. I'll see you guys soon!
____________________
Me: Hi, it's me again. It turns out that [other child] is feeling fine, too. I wonder if the boys caught a stomach virus?
Dad 1: Well, we thought it was bad dairy because the boys threw up a lot of undigested milk.
Me, to self: Well, they would, wouldn't they? They're sick!
Me, to Dad 1: I'm so sorry they aren't feeling well!
Dad 1: Actually, they seem fine now. I guess we're just going to treat this as a normal day. We'll see you soon!
Me, nervously: Um, I'm concerned about that. Since Baby has been vomiting, I worry that he could pass the virus to the other 2 kids and to me.
Dad 2: Would you prefer we keep him home?
Me, guiltily: Yes, I would.

So that's that. No food poisoning, no vomiting here at Chez AJWP. Except the whole episode makes me feel terrible! I know I did nothing wrong, but this is the first time I've had to tell a family that their child couldn't attend my program. I'm angry that the parents don't respect my sick policy, but I'm even angrier at myself for being so wimpy. I'm great at setting limits with the kids, but why am I so sucky at setting limits with their parents?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are wimpy about setting limits with the parents because of any number of the following...: 1. they pay you and you don't want them to reconsider that; 2. you know what a pain it is for parents to have to stay home with sick kids last minute; 3. you are a nice person who doesn't want to put people out.

But good job setting limits... and hooray for no vomiting.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Jane, you're right. It's really all 3. I guess what's important is that he didn't come in today to spread the illness around. I just wish I felt more confident about saying no, you know?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

I think you did the right thing. It is hard to set limits with adults, for sure. Also, My baby just threw up but hey I am bringing him to day care? Hello!!! Where is the concerned parent? Why don't they want to keep their kid home so they can care for the dear sweet sick child themselves? Hello? You are the parent!! Take care of your child!! They are crazy!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't agree more! When my kids are sick, I want to be the one checking their temperature and making sure that they are okay. (granted, I'd rather someone ELSE have to clean up the puke, but don't we all?) And I don't get sick days - I have to reschedule my clients, but that's what I do. AJWP, you did the right thing - no sense in Family 2 having to stay home to care for sick kids, or all of them to stay home if YOU are sick!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Thanks, you guys. I feel a lot better about my decision.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Also, I found out today it's rotavirus. GROSS!

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home