Thursday, February 16, 2006

McApathy?

I've never been known for my healthy diet. Sweet and Fry are my two favorite food groups, and I'm somewhat ashamed to say that one of the things I miss most about the Southland is Chick-fil-A. I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore (though surely that would change if Chick-fil-A schooled the Northland in the finer points of the breakfast chicken biscuit), so when I do run through the drive-thru, I'm looking for a good time.

Last night I was out v. late running errands on an empty stomach, so I went to Mickey D's for their mighty kids meal (chicken nuggets and a diet coke, please). I love the mighty kids meal: it's cheap, it's fried, and it's small, so I don't feel bad about eating so much grease. However, there is one thing I despise about the mighty kids meal, and that's the gendered world of happy meal toys. I always forget about it, too (probably because I'm weak-kneed with hunger and salivating over the thought of Fry by the time I'm placing my order), so it comes as a shock each time: would I like a "girl" toy or a "boy" toy with my meal?

Let's not even discuss how fucked up it is that there's a division between "girl" and "boy" toys--that'll just make me angry. Let's discuss instead how last night I simply sighed and said, "Girl," since Strawberry Shortcake looked less violent than Dragon Booster. Ten years ago, I would have told the order-taker that there shouldn't be a difference between toys for girls and toys for boys, then followed up with an angry letter to the McDonald's corporation. Last night, however, I couldn't muster the energy to protest.

I don't want to become a person who's too tired to stand up for her beliefs, but sometimes it seems like I'm headed in that direction. This Fry-lovin' feminist is asking for your help: what's a gal to do in a situation like this?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could turn her into an ornament much like the barbie one many years ago!

Seriously, I don't know what to do about it. I talk to my coworkers about gender specific things like toys and even colors of blankets but still the continue on their merry way giving this for girls and that for boys. I don't have any idea how to make a change in people's minds.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, don't get me started on this. The worst is, once they start school, you're screwed even when you've been fighting it for years.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My suggestion: order the Big Mac value meal.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home