Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Splinter

This morning Josie ran down cellar as I was emptying the dehumidifier. When I picked her up to carry her upstairs, I realized she had a 4-inch long wood shard sticking out of her abdomen. At first feel, an inch or so of wood seemed to be just below the surface of her skin--just a splinter, though a frickkin' huge splinter. But a little while later, I picked her up and thought I felt the wood going into muscle or internal organs.

Petunia hightailed it home from Boston to take Jo to the vet, and we were lucky to learn that the wood didn't pierce anything besides skin. Josephine'll take an antibiotic and we'll torture her with warm compresses, but she'll be just fine. I, however, am not so fine.

It felt AWFUL to know that I had families depending on me when I needed to take care of my cat. Petunia came home to cover, but she won't be able to do that all the time--she has kids and families who depend on her, too. If the situation had been a clear-cut emergency (bleeding, Jo acting weird, etc. rather than Jo acting fine), I would have cancelled my 3 families without a second thought. But since it was only a dicey situation rather than an out-and-out emergency, I felt so torn.

I pride myself on the consistency of my child care program, and the only accommodation I've asked families to make in almost 2 years of business is for my MAPP class. I haven't called in sick or taken time off without giving at least 2 weeks' written notice; usually, it's closer to 4 months' notice. But now I'm going to become a mom, and I'm worried about the standard of care all around. I worry that I won't be able to care for Hester because I'll be meeting the needs of 5 other families (and getting paid to do so, don't forget), and I worry that I won't be able to meet my families' needs because I'll be caring for my son or daughter. Gah--I wish this felt easier. I guess it's the first of many, many work/home struggles and compromises Petunia and I will have to make when we become parents.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I was upset enough when I read this quickly the first time and though it was Clara, but when I reread and saw that it was just a little kitty, Josie, I was horrified. I'm glad she's OK! What the hell? Did I tell you that despite our freshly refinished floors in our new place there have been a few very harrowing splinter episodes? I got about a 4" splinter in my heel. Nice. Not in very deep luckily, but upsetting to be sure.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh, this was so scary! It was a 4-inch long wood shard, half the thickness and width of a popsicle stick. We have no idea how she caught it in her belly--we have wooden shelves in the basement, but they're not all rickety. I'm still beside myself over the thought of it, but she's really okay. Thank god.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

It was awful but she is doing just fine. Back to her old self.

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home