Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Goiter Girl

The backstory: I spent one of my precious late May vacation days going for a physical, only to sit around the doctor's waiting room for an hour and a half. After nasty homophobic glares from the receptionist (Petunia was with me) and a bone-chillingly cold waiting room, I walked out. I didn't see the doctor; I didn't get any bloodwork done. The only things that happened were weight, temp, pulse ox, and blood pressure. I didn't even take off my clothes. When I got home that night, I changed my PCP with my insurance company since I was so dissatisfied with that doctor.

Fast-forward to today: I got a bill in the mail from said doctor stating that I owe her $40. Full of righteous anger, I called the insurance company. They said the visit--billed as GOITER--wasn't covered since I changed my doctor that same day. When I explained the situation, they said they'd have their patient advocate look into it. So then I called the doctor's billing service, explained the situation, and asked them to look into it too. And now I have to decide, should I call the doctor's office and give them an earful as well? And should I make a stink about fraudulent billing practices? I'm hella pissed, but v. busy with other things, too.

And for the record: I don't have a goiter.

7 Comments:

Blogger M. said...

Hells yeah - make a stink! They treated you shitty AND billed you too much? Unacceptable! (said with heavy British accent a la Nanny Jo).

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree. Isn't it a satisfying use of your precious time to stick it to the man? I hate wasting time on crap like that but really it's HELLA unacceptable. WTF???????

4:59 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

That is bull shit. I was there and they did not provide any service to you. You should not hve to pay!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I have to say it, I love that the bill says GOITER for apparently no reason at all. So dumb!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely, you should raise holy hell. This sort of thing makes me so mad and mainly because there are so many people who are unable to advocate for themselves or unaware that they can challenge such a bill and then get stuck eating ramen noodles for a month because they conscientiously paid a bill they felt they had to pay (afterall, it came from a "Doctor"). I officially have a blood feud with insurance companies and the medical field for these sorts of practices.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Okay, so I called the doctor's office in addition to filing complaints with the billing service and my insurance company. Of course, the doctor is out on vacation all week and her office is closed. GRRR.

Thanks for your support, y'all.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure she is. That's what they all say when they incorrectly bill people for goiters.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home