Thursday, July 27, 2006

Old Blue

I've been feeling v. nesty lately, so I decided to go through my Big Box o' Memories. The Box is a humongous Rubbermaid container filled with all kinds of mementoes from childhood through adulthood, and I've been toting it around in some form or another since elementary school. I'm a sentimental kind of gal, so I decided to pull it out to see what things I might pass on to Hester Willa when s/he comes home.

I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming sweetness of this task, for the rushes of tenderness I felt for the little girl I used to be and for the woman I've become. I'd saved everything from the first book I "published" in 1st grade to my high school band programs to a copy of the Boston Globe from September 12, 2001. I have baby blankets in that box, and Cabbage Patch dolls, and a stuffed walrus from my family's trip to Sea World. I have an East German flag, my first pair of toe shoes, my hula skirt, my pencil collection (over 100 strong!) , postcards from my dad, prom and ring dance souvenirs, and a box of old love letters. I have old calendars and journals and my welcome packet from Smith. And also, I have Old Blue:

Old Blue was my first silky nightgown. I loved the feel of the nylon, and I was so grown-up and beautiful when I wore it. When I got Old Blue at age 3, it nearly touched the floor. By the time I gave it up at age 6--I couldn't squeeze my arms into it any longer--it came above my knees. I've held onto it all these years because I treasure the memory of feeling so precious.

I think about the child I was and about our child-to-be and my life feels so full. I've got a load of stuffed animals, baby blankets, and doll clothes in the wash right now, and when they're clean and dry I'll fold them and put them into the toy box we got for Hester, where they'll sit beside hats we knit for him/her and a tiny apron we found at Ikea. I'll put Old Blue in there, too, because who knows? Maybe our Hester will feel beautiful when s/he wears it, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Oh, the Girl wears some of my old stuff that my mom saved, and the feeling...I can't even describe it. I love Old Blue...

12:27 AM  
Blogger Canada said...

That's really beautiful, AJWP. I have a lot of stuff saved, too - Clara wore an adorable skirt and midi top from Aculpulco that my grandparents brought me when I was 3ish. So sweet, ans she was so excited to be wearing something that ws mine. And Corwin slept with my blankie (until it finally fell apart)

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so sweet. I'm so jealous that you saved all this stuff! How did you manage it? I don't think most of this stuff exists for me anymore and my family moved WAY fewer times than yours. Good job being a super-saver!

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home