Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Government cheese

Last night's MAPP class should have been very difficult since it was all about the sequelae of sexual abuse and domestic violence. However, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Petunia and I know many survivors of childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault, and domestic violence, so nothing we heard last night was new to us.

What was new to me, however, is that our child will be eligible for WIC. I knew about MassHealth, and MBHP, and free state college tuition, but I didn't know that our kid will qualify for WIC from time of placement until legalization. That's awesome news, since WIC's such a great program. I've been a big proponent of WIC since high school, and I'm psyched that our child will be eligible for benefits. Free milk, grain, fruit...hello! That's a Big C. parent's dream come true! I'm glad our country does something right where children and families are concerned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know what government cheese means. Is that just that you get free cheese? Or is there a particularly upsetting sort of cheese that you're limited to?

In any case, way to go Big C. AJWP. ;)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I just learned that my mom had WIC when my brother and I were little. No wonder I'm so pro-WIC! get a lot of my Big C. attitudes from my ma.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I just read an article about WIC last week, how they are updating the food list to include fresh fruits and veg, and it tossed out that more than HALF the kids in the US qualify. It was just an introductory statement, when to my mind it should be a Holy Crap kind of statement, you know? I think WIC is great, but more than HALF the kids in this country need and qualify for it??? Effed up.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home