Friday, May 19, 2006

Tomorrow: Psychic twin spa day

My psychic twin (the inimitable JPP!) and I have birthdays a week apart, which means we live it up bigtime in late May. Let's hear it for the Geminis, eh? This year, Jenny is using a gift certificate to take us to a v. fancy spa in Boston tomorrow. Isn't she so generous? Don't you wish she could be your psychic twin, too?

When Jenny first told me she wanted to use her gift certificate for the two of us, I was SO EXCITED. I was on cloud 9, all ready to be pampered and fussed over. But after we set a date, I began to psych myself out. I always get nervy when I'm about to do something the rich folks do, like attend an elegant wedding or duck into an expensive store. I feel like a designer imposter beside so many Chanels, you know? I'm generally a pretty confident person, but one of my hot buttons is class. If I'm feeling insecure about class stuff, all my other insecurities come out to play and I get stuck in a quagmire of self-doubt. When Jenny told me yesterday that we'd have to wear spa robes, I almost barfed--I was like, "Great, they're going to see my huge pores AND my cheap Target underwear?" The last time someone handed me a "one size fits all" garment, I was a Little Debbie cake away from busting right out of it.

After calling the spa this morning to ensure that they have plus-size robes on hand (mercifully, they do, though I was fully prepared to bring the striped flannel robe I've been wearing since 1996), I'm feeling more confident about the whole experience. I'm a facial virgin, doncha know! I'm a little scared about the facial itself, since I've heard facials compared to everything from nirvana to day surgery. But since the website's all about pampering yourself and the woman on the phone this morning was v. pleasant, I'm betting it'll be a great time. After all, I'll be spending it with my psychic twin, and it doesn't get any better than that!

(But if you've ever had a facial, let me know how it went, 'kay?)

11 Comments:

Blogger Canada said...

I've had many a facial, and they are awesome. Just be sure to let the esthetician(sp?) know if your skin is sensitive. And don't be surprised if your skin does break out a bit after (24-72 hours). Facials are all about deep cleaning, and impurities are brought closer to the surface.

Have fun!!!!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

AJWP - I totally hear you, and class is definitely my hot button issue too. I have been known to not shop at or even enter certain places where there's something I want/need and can actually afford because I will just freeze up at the mere thought of what rich people will be thinking of my label-less jeans or unwashed hair or whatever. Like they're going to be offended by me - messed up, but there it is. I get facials myself, but I get them at the old-school beauty parlor where there's peeling paint and old ladies in rollers under stationary dryers and a sass-talking aesthetician with 6-inch long acrylics. If you can get past the insecurity of the posh spa(wear your best undies and your most WASPy outerwear), definitely have the facial. You'll go through various stages, all of which all totally pleasant except for extraction. During extraction, the aesthetician will poke and squeeze your pores and it will hurt (more or less, depending on how sensitive your skin is). As Canada said, there's at least 24 hours of re-breaking out. But a few days of blotchiness later, your skin will look better than if you've just had 5 consecutive orgasms in a pile of money on holiday island. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJWP it will be fun, no worries! We won't let them outclass us! Ha, though it is funny that I'm using a gift certificate! That's awesome. Ha ha ha! Regardless, this is a semi-granola crunchy wellness spa so maybe it's a little less like that than you'd think. I'm hoping it's nice. Everyone has been very nice to me on the phone too and they called today (Friday, not Saturday... it's after midnight) to remind me about our appointments tomorrow. Word!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Also, Ms. Scarlett, five orgasms on a pile of money on holiday island? Do you have experience with this?

Happy Birthday to AJWPP and JPP!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Ah! Happy birthday, you two!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

hasbrown - no personal experience, but when you live in a hole of debt on No Money Island like I do you develop a keen imagination. Happy Birthday guys!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Miss Scarlet,
I am living next door in plumbing hell hole island so I can appreciate the value of your keen imagination. Let me know if you ever do have 5 orgasms on a pile of money on holiday island.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had an awesome time, thanks for our b-day date, AJWP! The spa was very nice. Nobody who worked there was jerky, our facial person (we just happened to have the same one because our appointments were one after the other) was really nice, and it was lovely. There were some questionable customers there awaiting their various treatments, but that's OK.

Happy Birthday AJWP!

3:43 PM  
Blogger M. said...

Happy birthday, ladies!
I have never had this experience either but JUST GOT A GIFT CERTIFICATE! Please give us the update on the spa day so I know what to do (and so they don't kick out the riff-raff).

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! First of all, they didn't treat us like riff-raff, so I think you're safe. :)

As for the facial itself, we each got a half hour facial so our aesthetician (sp???) gave us each the option of if we wanted more of a "cleaning" facial or "massage-relaxing" facial. I got cleaning, which meant there was a phase where she squeezed and pressed my face which kind of hurt to clear my pores. But other than that, everything was relaxing and nice. We got to have lockers, change into spa robes, then in the room where we had the facial, they have a heated bed-like table with a blanket that you lay on (sans robe) and there was steaming and a mask and some serums and whatnot. During part of it while something was sitting on my face I got a scalp massage. I almost fell asleep. It was very nice.

We went to Exhale spa by the way, which is where MY gift certificate was! So I'm sure it varies somewhat but probably is pretty similar from place to place.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I concur--it was a lovely experience! Thanks so much to Jenny PP for a v. fab psychic twin birthday extravagana!

The Recap:

My experience was almost identical to Jenny's, though the aesthetician did more of a massage for me. Damn that sensitive skin! She did some extractions, but it was more of a soothing facial overall. She even massaged my hands and my shoulders, which was so relaxing. Two days later, my skin looks great; no breakouts so far. Also, the aesthetician was v. nice and didn't make fun of my cheap Irish skin, so I loved her for that.

M., I think you're going to have a lovely time. Will you be going with someone or by yourself?

Canada and missscarlet, thanks for telling me about your facial experiences! I felt more prepared because of you.

And missscarlet, we have ESPN re: rich stuff, that's for sure. It helps to know I'm not the only one who gets intimidated!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home