Friday, May 12, 2006

Nutrition: A+; Sanitation: A+

"Hey, how's Child Care Appreciation Day going?" you ask.
"Fine," I say, "I just had a last-minute site visit from my food program area coordinator."

GOOD TIMES, friends, GOOD TIMES.

I got the call yesterday afternoon that M. would be here today for lunch. I love M. for calling first; it's a nice little courtesy between professionals. She'd be well within her rights to just stop by, but I'm so glad she doesn't. I run a tight ship food-wise, but I think you and I can agree that it's nice to have a little advance notice before a relative stranger comes over to your house, looks through your fridge and cupboards, and checks out your sink area. Am I right?

My sainted wife helped me clean last night, and she cheerfully took on my most hated task: cleaning the 3 booster seats and washing the legs of the table and chairs. I went to the grocery store for fresh fruit and veggies for the fruit bowl (it's all about the presentation, folks), then cleaned every inch of the fridge and freezer. I also decided on a menu for today, scrapping the aforementioned no-mess menu in favor of a kid-pleasing, USDA-suggested menu. Brownnoser!

Thankfully, M. arrived right at noon as I was dishing out the grub. We had chicken-tortilla bake, peas, and "liquid milk," and M. was impressed by the food itself and by how well the kids ate. She also told me that my menus had been flagged by their nutritionist and given a special thumbs-up for variety, so I was all proud of myself about that. Shit--I might have Twix for breakfast and ice cream for lunch, but my kids eat hella good foods!

So now it's over and I've already filed my paperwork; my next visit will be in August or September. M. totally ruined my plans to appreciate myself today, but maybe I can figure out some way to cut down on the cleaning this afternoon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hashbrown said...

Baby,
I love you so much and am so proud of you. I love that you eat twiks for bfast and icecream for lunch and are not ashamed to tell the whole world that. You are a spectacular lady and I am so lucky to know you.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

What's "liquid milk"?

3:30 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

RIGHT? As opposed to dry milk, I guess. How dumb is that?

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home