Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fun with plumbing and carpentry

BEFORE: lead trap, radiator hose, water dripping from the kitchen ceiling.




AFTER: New plastic pipes, new drywall ceiling, money dripping from our wallets.



The final story is that the previous owner of this place did his own plumbing, which we learned before we bought the house. We also knew that he had Alzheimer's disease. However, we didn't know that he used truck radiator hose instead of plastic pipe in part of the bathroom plumbing. Since our house is so old and crazy, the plumber had to make the new trap open to the kitchen. This means the carpenter had to build a box to contain the new trap, plus fix the rest of the ceiling.

Can I just say I'm scared to receive their bills?

Can I also just say that I accidentally stumbled across some of the best contractors in greater Worcester? Okay, so I made a gazillion calls in order to find them, but these folks arrived when they said they'd arrive and didn't dilly-dally while they worked. Their fees are reasonable, too, and they weren't weirdos. Gotta love that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very glad this is fixed but sorry the last owner decided to use a radiator hose to plumb his bathroom. Interesting.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Yes. It was...creative.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

See, I never got the existence of this store in London - "Hose Headquarters". And then I became a homeowner. I'm so glad you found good contractors. Keep their numbers and refer like crazy (hint - if you need other types of work done, call them for referrals).

ps. your ceiling looks great!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

I can't get over the fact that someone with Alzeimers was re-plumbing his own kitchen! From what I can see, it actually looks good with the trap, because it defines the window area. And now you have a celing with a story.

PS - the word verifaction for this comment is fkhog, which makes me feel like it's trying to tell me something.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I'm living for "fkhog!" That's going to be my new vanity plate

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home