Thursday, February 01, 2007

On stopping time

I am having ISSUES.

I want to stop time.

Hester is 20 days old today. That's 3 weeks old as of 5:10pm tomorrow. We are no longer in the month of her birth. Tomorrow will be her first Groundhog Day; her first Valentine's Day is right around the corner. [I have no idea why the thought of Baby's First Groundhog Day brings tears to my eyes, but there you have it.]

Every single day she changes so much. On Tuesday she smiled her first social smile. Yesterday she hit the 8-lb. mark and was moved up into size 1 diapers. I almost cried when I saw those big size 1s. Don't her nurses know that the newborn ones are good up to 10 lbs.? Couldn't she have stayed with them for old time's sake?

Last night I read Hester her first book. I've had it with me since she was 2 days old, but she wasn't feeling up to reading until yesterday. She liked it a lot; she fell asleep at the end.

Today I used a gift card from Christmas to buy a baby calendar. It'll kill me if I forget the sweetness of these days.

I guess I'd better get used to this feeling, though. It'll be with me the rest of my life.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the sweetest post. Also, baby's first groundhog day making you cry = you're a mom for real.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Canada said...

Awwww!!! Welcome to the club (Ithere is a book that I still can't read the last page above a whisper because I'll cry otherwise)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

What book is that? Now I must know.

Aw, sweetie. It's totally true--Momhood has hit you hard. It does get a little better, but there are times when that exact feeling smacks you again in the middle of nowhere...They're so scrumptious at every age.

Sigh.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home