Thursday, October 05, 2006

Harvest time


Here's our tiny cinderella pumpkin in its supportive sling, along with a few green tomatoes for good measure. I took this photo a few days ago in preparation of its harvest.

And here it is in my hand after being harvested yesterday, two days before the Harvest Moon. I love pumpkins so much (um, can you tell?), but I especially love the cinderella varieties. They're so beautiful!

We might get frost tonight, so this morning I brought in the rest of the tomatoes (both reddish and still very green*), a couple of sunflower heads, and some herbs to dry. It's all fall-y outside today, v. sunny, windy, and brisk. Yellow pine needles blanket half of our yard; the kids spent the morning sweeping them into nests and pretending they were birds. This weekend I want to split and transplant some perennials, and as soon as our allium and garlic arrive we'll plant them and begin to ready the gardens for winter.

Also, I checked on our compost today--it's just beautiful! It's ready to use, too. It's all black wet mulchy goodness, and I'm proud of us for sticking with the whole composting thing. Yay, crunch power! We're living the stereotype. Gotta love it.

*If you have a recipe for fried green tomatoes that you've tried and liked, I'd love to have it. Thanks!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pumpkin is so beautiful! Good job Farmer AJWP!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Farmer AJWP, that is funny!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there's one in the Penny Whistle Stop book they based that movie on... you know the one I am talking about. RIght? Fried Green Tomatoes... I think.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home