Wednesday, April 05, 2006

PYT

If you know me in real life, you know I have age issues. Specifically, I have a long and storied history of being mistaken for older than my actual tender age:

1. When I was 16, a coworker of my dad's saw my senior portrait. "That's a nice photo of your wife," he told my dad.

2. When I was 17, a Blockbuster employee informed me I could get a free video rental on Mother's Day if I brought in a photo of my kids. "How old are your children?" she asked.

3. When I was 18, a 16-year old asked me if I had a daughter named Claire. Perplexed, I told him no, and he responded, "Oh, I thought you did. This girl in my class looks exactly like you. I thought she was your daughter."

4. Also when I was 18, I worked as a para-professional psych assistant for a psychologist in private practice. Almost a year later, she realized my age. "I thought you were much older!" she exclaimed.

5. When I was 21, a woman I'd never met told me to be careful with my "cheap Irish skin. It wrinkles so easily!"

Add to all those comments a prematurely aging body, and I've got myself a barrel of issues.

It's odd, though--now that my age is catching up to my face, I'm a lot more comfortable with myself. I've been through a lot of Saturn Return issues lately, so that helps as well. Also, it seems like everywhere I look, I see vital, happy women in their 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and sometimes even 90s, and they give me so much hope for my future. It seems odd that I'm looking forward to turning 30 when I spent so much time fearing it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even begin to address this. I know not to the extent that you have, but I have always been mistaken for older too. In fact, remember when we went to Foxwoods and everyone got carded except me to get in the door? What was up with that? OK.

Anyway, my favorite is the cheap Irish skin comment. Doesn't this person know you're a lymey (sp?) bastard? Ha ha, Nigel. Are you wearing some nice dungarees today?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I also have to add that the stuff they talk about in your "Saturn Return" link may be true about how people feel between the ages of 28 and 30 but you know it's not because of where Saturn is, right? Right? Oh my don't even get me started on Astrology. I might have to totally oppress you. ;)

Dear AJWP,

You are always 1 year younger than me.

love,
JPP

5:24 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Dear Jane,

You are a Gemini, like it or not.

love,
AJWP

5:53 PM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

Thirty. Rocks.
I mean it. I was SO happy when I turned 30; I felt as though I was finally a woman, and woe be it upon anyone who fucked with me then.
Okay, not so much, but that's how it felt.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Canada said...

I still can't get over the cheap Irish skin comment. What is up with that?

And as 40 is the new 30, that makes me about to be 27, leaving you at the ripe old age of 19!

ps. how's that eye cream working? My lips don't seem to be plumping anymore - damn, maybe I will have to have my ass fat injected to attain the lasting look. And maybe I can donate the rest of my ass fat to other poor skinny-lipped girls just like me ;-)

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home