Thursday, June 14, 2007

Happy Pride Month indeed

Now that I've made all my thank you calls to the appropriate senators and representatives (not to mention our new governor!), it's starting to sink in: We're free. We won. We can rest for a moment before taking up this struggle again in other ways and in other states. No more worrying whether equal marriage will remain legal in our home state. No more threats of an ugly anti-equality campaign in which our families are dragged through the mud. No more feeling second class as our very lives are up for public debate.

On a personal level, no more worrying whether my business will close because I can't get health insurance through my wife's insurance policy. No more questioning whether Hester's 2nd birth certificate will list both of us as her legal parents. No more concerns over hospital visits, insurance policies, and inheritance rights. No more worrying that our own marriage might be annulled.

Tonight when Petunia returns from the State House we'll celebrate this victory for equality. For today at least, justice and freedom prevailed.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So awesome! Have a nice celebration ladies! I hope it involves some good eats. ;)

2:47 PM  
Blogger LymeAware said...

Hooray! That's fabulous news! It's so nice to hear news that puts some of my faith back in the system to do what's right. And I'm glad this means you can rest back into the life that is yours, without fears that some system will decide otherwise.

Have a great weekend.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Psycho Kitty said...

I was SO happy to read the news!!
Congratulations!
(And I have your latelatelate card on the table. Still late. I suck.)
xo
PK

4:19 PM  
Blogger Gawdess said...

May it stay this way!
So happy for you.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of you as soon as I saw the headline at the newsstand. I'm so glad.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home