Monday, July 03, 2006

New recruit

So, about 10 minutes ago the mail arrived, and in it was the latest issue of Connections, a newsletter by and for Smithie stay-at-home moms (plus one stay-at-home family child care provider, natch). The editor published my first article about Hester Willa, and I was psyched to see it. I was busy congratulating myself and feeling proud when the phone rang:

On the other end: Hi, this is G., and I'm a Smithie, too. I just saw your article in Connections--congratulations!
AJWP, proudly: Thanks!
G.: When I saw you live in Worcester, I had to call. I'm in central Mass, too.
AJWP: Are you?
G.: Yes! I hope it isn't too strange that I looked you up in the phone book and called...
AJWP, to self: Now that you mention it....
G., continuing: But I thought I'd just touch base with you. I'm a La Leche League leader, and I wanted to let you know if it's not too "out there" for you, you can choose to breastfeed your adopted baby.
AJWP, guffawing to self: Actually, I did know that.
G.: Yes, it's called adoptive nursing, and our local La Leche League can be a real resource to you.

The call went on a little longer, but is this not the funniest thing you're ever heard? I've been recruited by La Leche League!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AL-SO. I don't know how legit this is, but it reminds me of that whole training your 3 month old to pee in the potty thing. What's that called? You're not doing that, right???

12:10 AM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

It is kind of creepy how she got the newsletter, looked you up, and called immediatly. Just a bit sketchy. OR maybe desperate.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Elimination communication. No way, dude--we're not doing that. And the call was sort of creepy, but it was validating, too. It was like, "Damn, they're harassing me just like they'd harass any expectant mama!" I heart La Leche League, and it's good to know that our local chapter supports adoptive nursing as well as traditional breastfeeding.

7:28 AM  
Blogger M. said...

Hey chica,

Elimination communication = Waaaay out there. Adoptive breastfeeding, I'm learning, is much more common than I realized (not talked about so much because of the "ick factor" I think). I think LLL in general supports it, not just your local chapter. I'm doing some research and am hoping to do it too, so let me know if you want to talk at any point.

Though I'm with hasborwn - the stalker tactics are creepy.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Hashbrown said...

Halso,
Congratulations on getting your piece published. It is fantastic, a well crafted work of art. I am very proud of you!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Hey M., it's good to know another person who's planning to nurse. I've been looking into it myself, though Hester's unknown age definitely complicates things.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home