Friday, April 07, 2006

Garden State

So I watched Garden State for the 3rd time on Wednesday night, and I loved it even more than I did the first couple times around. Have you seen this movie? My brother Orca recommended it to me, and after I raved about it he recommended seeing it again with the commentary turned on. Orca is good for this kind of thing--he also showed me Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, which is hilarious. Since I totally crack up at America's Funniest Home Videos, you know I loves me some MEEC. However, I do understand that it is Not. A. Choice. and that I'm going to hell for getting such a kick out of it.

But I digress.

Here's what's rad about Garden State: the writing. It's so funny and unexpected, like the shirt in the bathroom and poor Jelly's death. I can never make up my mind about Natalie Portman (same with Scarlett Johansson--is she a good actor or actually really, really bad?), but she cracked me up in this movie. And Zach Braff is excellent, though I realized last night that he bears a striking resemblance (in personality and manner, if not in appearance) to my high school boyfriend W. So there's that. Maybe what I like most about the movie is that it's a little zany--it's real life taken a step too far, but the emotions are still recognizable.

Next up on the Netflix: an Indigo Girls concert. Before you call me a wicked dork, think of it this way--it's like continuing ed for lesbians. You know I'm right!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't seen Garden State so I'm glad to get your recommendation. I'd like a good movie to crack me up.

Also, I think I have to like Natalie Portman. Oh, if you need another reason, please see the skit she did on SNL:

http://www.nbc.com/Video/videos/snl_1439_natalieraps.shtml

It's funny as hell.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

The week Natalie Portman hosted SNL is the only SNL I've seen in 2 or 3 years. I was glad I stayed up for that night's episode, though, because she was great. The rapping part was good, but my favorite was the Jamba Juice sketch because it reminded me of when I opened at Sbux. I'd be all, "Good morning! How are ya? Can we get something started for you?" and the customers would be like, "Dude, you've had WAY too much espresso for the 6 o'clock hour." Ahh, those were the days.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Halso, I got so caught up in the Sbux memories that I forgot to say that you really should see Garden State. I think you'll like it.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Bro, you have to blog about the concert and especially about the crowd! I can't wait!

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, the when I had dinner with A. and E. recently they were talking about a time when they went to an Indigo Girls concert together and E was convinced that Amy Ray was singing to her. That just brought back all sort of unacceptable E-being-into-Amy-Ray memories. So funny.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home