Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I'm feeling overwhelmed.

This morning Hester met my last 2 work families, visited with a colleague of Petunia's, and had her visiting nurse check-up. It was an absolute zoo around here. I'm dreading tomorrow when she'll have her Early Intervention evaluation; they're bringing a team of 3 people to do the assessment. Folks, our house is only 650 square feet. Tomorrow morning at 8:45am there will be 8 adults, 3 toddlers, and 1 infant in our home. This is where my introversion kicks in: I want to hide under a blanket just thinking about it. Holy moly, what a mess that's going to be. I'll probably have my state licensing visit in the middle of all the chaos. Wanna place a bet?

I'm also feeling a bit overwhelmed about Hester's health: She hasn't gained an ounce since she came home from the hospital, though she's eating just fine. The visiting nurse was concerned about it and called Hester's pediatrician right away, but a partner of hers called back to say that Hester's weight doesn't concern them. Now, I'm no doctor, but I am Hester's Mama. If the neonatologists at the hospital were concerned about her weight and the visiting nurse is concerned about it, I'm sure as hell concerned, too. It would be one thing if her eating had dropped off, but it hasn't. Her docs took Hester off the enriched 24-calorie soy formula just before she left the hospital, and I'm thinking she might need to go back on it. The doctor's office says not to worry, but I'm worried all the same.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't help but worry but I have heard similar stories from almost everyone I know who's ever had a baby... family, friends, colleagues. At some point usually some issue comes up about the baby's weight. What I've always heard, and this is just the wisdom of the masses and the slightly cooler head of someone who's not the mama, is that babies grow differently, every baby is different, they eat when they're hungry, they plateau, etc. etc.

What I'm trying to say is I know you can't help but worry but I'm sure Hester is just fine.

And that scene tomorrow you described is hella crazy.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's difficult not to worry! You're the Mama! But keep in mind that a lot of babies lose weight and then gain it back and if she is sustaining her weight and not losing, it's probably all good:)
Lola

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home