Monday, January 23, 2006

Armor amore

I stand corrected about the Higgins Armory Museum: it was really neat! They have an impressive collection of 16th and 17th century arms and armor, including dog armor (perhaps Clary B. would like to be an armored dog for Halloween?). The museum is really artifact-focused as well, rather than all that knights-of-the-round-table Sisyphus crap I thought it was going to be. I'd forgotten how much I love going to museums with Petunia. Also, it was free thanks to the Worcester Public Library's museum pass program. I love free stuff!

Another really neat thing about the Higgins was this special exhibit called The Armor Series by Helen Meyrowitz. It was a collection of 10 canvases featuring different masks used in war from medieval times to the present. It was beautifully curated and incredibly thoughtful, and I find myself thinking a lot about the ways in which Meyrowitz juxtaposes life and death in the series.

This weekend we also ate at a couple of outstanding local restaurants, the Blue Cricket Bistro and the Cedar Street Restaurant. We don't eat at fancy places very often (in fact, we've eaten at exactly 3 fancy places in the 7 years we've been together, and one of those was a gift certificate from friends), so these were a special treat for us. I just reheated my leftovers for lunch, and they were almost as good as they were the first time around. Yum!

Our weekend wasn't all fun and games, though. Yesterday afternoon we learned that a former client of Petunia's, a 16-year old boy, died unexpectedly earlier in the week. His calling hours were last night, so we trekked out to metro Boston to pay our respects. Friends of ours also worked with this young man and have known him since he was a preschooler, and they were heartbroken. It was so difficult to see our friends in such pain. I wanted so badly to do or say something that could make it better for them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, I always see commercials for the armory museum and make fun of them. I'm glad it's actually interesting and not stupid. Even though it is a little nerdy. ;)

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home