Thursday, January 19, 2006

Time flies

This new year is kicking my ass! That same instinct that makes you want to turn over a new leaf has made me want to improve my business. I've subscribed to a software package that allows me to do my bookkeeping without too much effort, plus I've created a "print-rich environment" for the kids (don't you love early childhood education jargon?). I've enrolled a new child, had a portfolio review, hung kid-decorated shapes from the ceiling, and added a box of dinosaurs to my toy collection. I've followed suggestions for cold and flu prevention, sung dozens of children's songs, made a picture book from scratch, and clipped diaper coupons for parents. More often than not, I feel strong and positive about the work I'm doing. I can't believe it's already the 19th, though. At this rate, August will be here in the blink of an eye!

In August we're reapplying to become adoptive parents through DSS. We tried last summer, but it turns out that DSS and the EEC (the folks who administer family child care in MA) have different regulations regarding the number of children you can have in your home who are under age 2. Bottom line: EEC allows 3 kids as long as one or more of those kids is 15 months and walking, while DSS only allows 2. In August my second youngest FCC kid will turn 2, so in August we'll be able to reapply for adoption.

After going through many months of anger and sadness about this arbitrary rule, I'm starting to feel hopeful and eager again. If January can whiz by so quickly, so will the rest of the months until August. I don't want to wish away the time, either; I'd rather appreciate the time we have pre-baby. We have a lot of work to do re: financial issues, so that'll be the first thing I'll tackle. I want to start tonight--maybe I'll make a small pot of coffee after work and get busy.

My next few days won't be all business, though--Saturday is Petunia's birthday, so we're going to out with friends tomorrow night to celebrate. On Saturday I've planned a whole itinerary of fun, including a massage for her at our local school of massage therapy, a trip to the armory museum (snore, though she'll love it), snowtubing (our 1st time ever, so look out below!), and v. fab lunch and dinner. I was thinking of running out early in the morning for breakfast, flowers, and maybe even a cheesy balloon. What a nice weekend this will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home