Friday, January 20, 2006

Nasty smell, nasty thoughts

This morning I took the kids to the playground and forgot that I had a batch of muffins in the oven. Fortunately, we were only gone an hour and the muffins didn't even get smoky. Still, there's the distinct smell of char in the house. It's quite unpleasant. Will Febreze make it worse? We're about to find out....

While at the playground, I found out that my neighbor, a woman with 2 kids, no job, no partner, and a back disability, is pregnant again. She found out she was pregnant in the fall and said it was a sign from God that she's meant to have a little girl. Then she thought she miscarried, but today she told me that all is well and that she's about 12 weeks along. I don't even know what to make of this news: I'm glad that she's happy, but I know that another child will stress her already precarious living situation. I'm jealous, because it's so easy for her to have a baby while we have to wait until August to even apply. I'm mad, because she doesn't have great parenting skills and has even had DSS involvement for her 2 boys. I wish I could just ignore it, but she lives right next door. It brings up all these ugly issues for me--who's "better" than whom, who "deserves" to have a child, etc. I don't like looking at myself in this light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home